Friday, January 1, 2010

Welcome to my blog

I used to blog at my church's website, but I found that the blogs were beginning to take over the church's website, and so I've decided to transfer them over here. This site will contain some of my musings about theology, literature, and culture.

I need to lay down a few ground rules before we begin. I have a life beyond this blog--gasp! but it's true--and so readers should not expect me to be churning out 4 or 5 blogs a day and responding to all of them every 5 minutes. If you don't hear from me for a couple of days, it might be because I have sick people to visit in the hospital or Bible studies to prepare. And sometimes my thoughts may not have gelled on a particular topic to the point where I am ready to share them. Chill out and wait for the next blog. I plan to do something better than a monthly blog, but I wouldn't plan on seeing a weekly blog here.

As a person who is devoted to sound Lutheran theology and who has devoted his life to studying and teaching the Greek and Latin classics, I am particularly interested in the interaction between theology and culture. For me, culture is not simply a code word for "politics," and most of my conversation will avoid that realm since it is adequately covered elsewhere. Nor am I interested exclusively in popular culture, as is so often the case with those in the church who claim to be "reaching the culture." Culture is more than TV programs or great works of literature. It is more than our history or our shared customs and values. And it is all worth exploration, especially from a theological point of view.

No comments: